Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Life, death, and Ravelry

So it's been a little bit.  I'm not going to apologize for that.  Life happens.  LOTS of life.  And some endings of life.

When I last wrote it was March, I was pregnant.
On April 11th we tragically lost my sister in law, Karla, to a horridly mutant strain of cancer, we don't even know what type of cancer it was so rapid growing.  And the mutant part?  The doctors coined it that, not us. She went in for pneumonia and died within 2 weeks.  They said if they had seen her 2 months previous, she wouldn't have even had signs on a cellular level.  Utterly tragic to lose someone so vibrant and young, only 30.


Well, on Cinco de Mayo my BABY BOY was born!

He was 6 lb, 8 oz, and though I have an easier time than most in not having to push much and having only several hours of pain, when an epidural doesn't work and you have high blood pressure normally...I give MASSIVE kudos to anyone who does that naturally.  Although, I think had I not had Pitocin with this birth it would have different, a little more easy going like my daughter.  But that is life.

He's not so small now, he's also allergic to soy and lactose at this point, he's got colitis so he's on a special astronomically expensive formula, too bad my body quit on me and I couldn't have kept breastfeeding, cause I would have been even more exhausted, but I would have lost a bunch of weight and it wouldn't cost like the formula does.  Eh.  It happens, I guess.  He's got reflux, so he's on Zantac, and when he gets to the point where he's put on too much weight and he needs a dosage uppage?  You can tell.  He can't hold formula down and it's rough.  So it's a good thing we went to the doctor yesterday.


Little miss turned 3 in June.  My goodness how time flies.  She will start a swim class the end of the month.  She's sooo looking forward to it.  I kind of hope they test them and we can move her up to the advanced tots, because she does what they ask already, but since she learned it with me and not through them, they won't allow us to just put her in there.  She's so big!  And with curly hair to boot.  What a stitch she can be.




I've started back to work, so that's an adjustment.  The hardest part was going back after spending 3 months with my Little girl and her personality.  I started Thursday Aug. 1, so on Friday she looked me up and down and said, where are you going?  I said, I have to go to work again.  She burst out crying.  That's the hardest part.  I really got to know her and finally got into a good routine.  Ah, such is life, I guess.

We're hopefully going to be moving to St. Charles were schools are better in late fall/early winter.  There's many things in the works, so it's been an exhaustive 3 months off, although enjoyable, tons more than the last maternity leave.

And although it doesn't mean anything to anyone NOT on Ravelry, I am a Charms Professor for the HPKCHC.  I LOVE it.  I truly do.  I have been a Slytherin in the cup on the knitting group in Rav for 3 'terms' now.  Each term is 3 months, with a month in-between.  So I guess I've put in a full year.  I was a '2nd year' and decided I wanted to be part of the Slytherin Staff, and joined the Slytherin Sunshine Committee. And if you know me, you know that although it sounds like it's an oxymoron, it's not.  At least I think so.  I think I am pretty sunny most of the time.  Blunt and I swear, but I laugh and smile a lot....so I consider that sunny.  And I LOVE the Slytherins.  We're a fantastic group of people, if I do say so myself.

And so I started May 1st with my first term as a professor.  I figured if I could do it while on maternity leave with things in the works at home and also having to do some work on the side with a brand new baby and a toddler?  I could do anything with the cup.  Maybe not ANYthing at THIS point, but eventually.  Maybe.  But at this point being head of the big swap in Slytherin and a Professor for the cup is good for me.  I'd love to be a middle snake for a nest, but I LOVE my Anaconda nest, so unless I'm staying with them, I'm not going anywhere.  I don't know if I'll be a Charms Professor again, but I am still going to be a Professor for next term.  At least I asked to be :)
I haven't had much time to spin or knit.  I so want to.  It's my relaxation.  But that will come in time when things get more settled.  So until then, I'll just have to look at my yarn and fiber longingly and maybe get in a little here and there at lunch or when Hubs is driving the car and I can knit.  Seeing as I'm in the middle of a pair of pants for the Wee Man, though, I should finish those so I don't finish them when he's too big for them and Little Miss has a big pair of pants for a dolly.

So I'll update as I finish that stuff.  But as of now I've only spun up 1 skein of orange Merino/Silk blend, started on an art batt from Jazz Turtle which is awesome, but I don't have time to sit and spin more of, knit a pacifier buddy that keeps the pacifier attached to the car seat so I can grab the rope and stick it in Wee Man's mouth when I'm driving without hunting around for a lost pacifier, and I knit 1 blanket square the month that Wee Man was born.  That was a lot and it was simple stockinette stitch.  But hey, you do what you can, right?  Right.





So till I have more to write about, my new knitting endeavors, moving, the kiddos

No comments:

Post a Comment